The Flu & You
Who should get the FLU SHOT?
The Flu shot (influenza vaccination) is recommended annually for EVERYONE who is 6 months or older.
What are the symptoms of the Flu?
- Fever or feeling feverish
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle or body aches
- Fatigue (tiredness)
- Vomiting and Diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.
Why should I get the Flu shot?
- Having your annual Flu Shot can stop you from getting symptoms of the Flu.
- It is especially important this year as the symptoms of the flu are very similar to the symptoms of COVID-19. Having the flu shot can prevent you from becoming ill with the flu and reduce the risk of confusion with COVID-19.
- Without the flu shot and with the added risk of COVID-19 your chances for severe illness and even death increase significantly.
- If you get the flu shot, there is a small chance you might still get the flu. However, if you do, your illness is usually mild and lasts for a shortened period of time.
When should I get my Flu Shot?
You should get your flu shot as early in the season as possible. The season begins in September, and the earlier in the season you get it the lower your risk is of becoming ill. However, even if you cannot get your flu shot early you should still get it anytime during the flu season which lasts until April.
Where can I get my Flu Shot?
- Your PCP’s office.
- Large Pharmacies such as CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aide, Duane Reade and often your local pharmacy.
- No matter where you get the shot PHP will pay for it. Bring your PHP Insurance Card.
- If you need help finding a location or scheduling an appointment call your PHP Care Team.
Speak to your Doctor before getting a Flu shot if:
- You have an allergy to eggs.
- You are feeling unwell when you want to get the Flu Shot.
- You have had a bad reaction in the past to the Flu Shot.
- You ever had Guillain-Barré Syndrome (a severe paralyzing illness).
Where can I find more information?
Your Doctor or your Care Team can answer your questions about the Flu and the Flu Shot.
From the CDC website: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/resource-center/freeresources/print/print-general.htm
PHP Members have 24/7 access to Telehealth where you can speak with an Emergency Room Doctor if you start to get symptoms.
In most cases this will prevent a trip to the emergency room and unnecessary exposure to COVID-19.